Monday, October 23, 2006


*****************************************************
Oct 23, 2005 - Everest Base Camp, Elevation 17,600 ft.
*****************************************************




This is the day! We made it! All 8 of us made it to EBC, but it was one of the hardest things.. no, THE hardest thing I have ever done. We started out with a pretty long, tiring hike from Lobuche to Gorak Shep, where we had brunch and then headed for Base Camp. The trail was rocky & rough, although I've seen worse, but the altitude was taking all my energy. Every footstep was an effort. I had to reach down to depths I didn't know I had, just to get there. Then we had to make it back!! I was a great relief and event to make it to Base Camp, but our elation was tempered by our altitude fatigue. I don't know if I've ever felt so bad. The effect of 49% oxygen, I suppose. We did make it back though, but I didn't feel like having dinner. I cannot remember now, a day later, even what I had. But, all in all, we can say that we did it!

Here's a couple of videos that Dave took just before and at Base Camp.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4RSBNMbH98
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLXGAHtXYaw

1 Comments:

At 2:17 PM, Blogger lifeonhold said...

Yay! You made it!

Nice videos; we can hear the effort to get oxygen.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home