Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Oct 18, 2005 Above Namche



This was an acclimatization day in Namche, so we just day hiked up a very steep trail to a ridge overlooking Khumjung, with a great view of Everest and Ama Dablam. It was tiring and I was feeling the altitude. A slow & steady pace worked though. We made it up and then descended a steep trail back to Namche, where we went to the museum. Then back to the lodge (Kala Pattar Lodge) and lunch. After lunch we just talked and then did some "shopping" along the streets. It was fun. I bought a prayer wheel and some prayer flags. I also bought a tasty cinnamon roll! We talked for a while this evening with "Gerry", who was about to make a summit attempt of Ama Dablam. Very interesting. Learning a few phrases:

jom jom - "Let's go!"
Bola manche - "crazy man"
Bolia manche - "strong man"
ruh-roh - good
Doku - basket used by porters
Dah-nee-baht - Thank you

We had a very filling dinner and then were talking to a returning group. They said it was difficult, but I am not letting that discourage me. I live for challenges!

I feel very well this evening and don't seem to feel any altitude effects. Here's hoping for nothing new on that front. One thing that I have noticed (again) is that people really are the same everywhere. There are nice ones, loud ones, quiet ones, funny ones, reserved ones, rude ones, whether in a big city or a quiet village in Nepal. It really helps me to view people as brothers and sisters because of this.

Tomorrow, on to Phortse!!

1 Comments:

At 1:56 PM, Blogger lifeonhold said...

ruh-roh - good

Hee! I always thought it meant uh oh (someone's in trouble now!)

My taskmasters are absent-minded today so I'm catching up on your travels.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home