Sunday, October 22, 2006

Oct 22, 2005 - Lobuche



Today we left for Lobuche, and it have to say it was one of the hardest days of my life, physically. I am really starting to feel the effects of altitude, but I did manage to take a couple of Advil which made me feel some better. However, toward the "end" of the hike, I really felt terrible, especially during the last 1/2 hour. I was really thinking that I wasn't going to make it. We did though, and after a break and lunch I felt much better.

In the afternoon, we walked up to the ridge and looked down the Khumbu Glacier. It was amazing! You could see up to the Khumbu Icefall, Base Camp, and Kala Pattar. As you looked around, you could see nothing but mountains. I really had a tear in my eye. Also, I felt greatly strengthened that our goal was in sight. We're almost there! Tomorrow it is on to Base Camp! Maybe it is just the altitude, but I'm almost giddy with excitement. Everyone on the team had a pretty bad day, but everyone seems pretty good now, it would be great if everyone makes it to Base Camp. I should add an interesting note from a few days ago - Dave introduced the concept of "pull my finger" to the Sherpas!! Uh-oh!

Margin note: "We saw an avalanche on this day!!


1 Comments:

At 2:11 PM, Blogger lifeonhold said...

The Kala Pattar photo is my favorite so far.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home