Saturday, October 21, 2006

Oct 21, 2005 - Day Hike Nangkar Tshang



Today we did an acclimatization hike to Nangkar Tshang, which had a summit height of 5100m or about 16,800 ft! The sky cleared a little so that the views were actually quite good. It was a very hard climb as it was all very steep, and it had snowed through the night, so the trail was quite slippery in spots. The last part of the ascent was very rocky, like Mt. Adams (New Hampshire), and it was very slippery though (sic). I was more than ready to reach the summit as I was very winded. No real altitude sickness issues though (I don't think). I did have a headache, but it was more of a muscle tension thing, I think. Matt had given me a pill which took it away straightaway. Returned back for lunch and had a nap afterward. Now playing cards with Gambu and Kamal, and waiting for dinner. I am feeling pretty well at the moment. Hopefully, I will make it on Sunday!!

Just an extra interesting thought - who would believe that I would ever be playing cards with a bunch of Sherpas in the Himalayas! What an experience! As an added note, everyone seems to be handling the altitude okay. I hope the whole team makes it!


One of our assistant guides, Dill, near the top of Nangkar Tshang

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home