Friday, April 22, 2005

Yes. I'm Back.

Hey everyone! Well, I'm finally back from my trip to CA/AZ and the Grand Canyon hike. Actually, I've been home for a few days, but have been pretty busy catching up on stuff and, well, sleeping off the jet lag. Oh, there's been working involved somewhere there, too.

I'm going to give a more detailed version of the trip over the next few days, but I just wanted to add now some of the things at the END of my trip. I spent the last couple of days back in LA and had the good fortune to meet up with the inimitable TVJunkie to do a little hiking in Malibu Creek State Park and just generally shoot the breeze. It was a great time and I really appreciated the tour!! On my last day in LA, I just kicked around Venice Beach for a few hours before heading off to the airport to catch my flight (which was a red-eye to Toronto).

I was really quite concerned about going through security in LA, considering all the things I've heard and read over the last year or so. I needn't have worried - I breezed through with no problems at all and the staff were actually very friendly.

But, after a 4.5 hour (no sleep) flight to Toronto, I landed there and then had to change terminals from the USA flights to the domestic departures. I couldn't believe how poorly the directions are marked there to find the shuttle. I finally found a "sign", done with black marker on a white poster board (!) with an arrow pointing the way. Sheesh.

So, after all that, you have to go through security again, because you just came through Customs and had to get your checked luggage. Well, the security agent at the x-ray machine asked to see the boarding pass of the fellow that was in line in front of me. She peers at it intently, and then slowly says.. "So... where's this.. 'Charlottetown'?" (Which is, of course the capital of Prince Edward Island and the city where Canada was born! ) So, he says "Uh, it's in PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND". She, still not looking completely convinced, hands him back his boarding pass. Yes - I feel SOOOO much more secure knowing these are the people handling security. *shops online for portable parachute*

Anyway, the rest of the trip home was completely uneventful, but I sure was tired. So, I will endeavour to get the rest of the story and some of my pics up within the next few days.

2 Comments:

At 12:18 PM, Blogger TVJ said...

When you went back to Venice Beach, did you see Jimi Headache? Was he around? GForce is the very first HTer I've actually MET! In person! Woo Hoo!

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger Gary said...

No! I was rather disappointed! Actually, the weather was so cool (I mean chilly) that there were very few people around. There was the "free speech" guy, though (with all the crazy rants written out on whiteboards), so that counts for something. What an honour to be the first HT person you've met!! I suppose from there, you can only go up!! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home